nfs4 on FreeBSD

Doug Rabson dfr at nlsystems.com
Wed Oct 12 02:00:28 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 22:22, Chuck Lever wrote:
> Ivan Synyeokov wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm playing with nfs4 under FreeBSD and I wonder is there any
> > particular plans to improve its support and have fully functional
> > nfs4 client and server in base or maybe ports?
> >
> > I've found that Rick's (ftp://ftp.cis.uoguelph.ca/pub/nfsv4/) work
> > is quite stable (I mean server part) on FreeBSD 6.0 Beta5, but
> > client is only available for OpenBSD. Rick, do you plan to port
> > your client to FreeBSD also?
> > On the other hand, lack of delegation and locking state features
> > from native FreeBSD6 client, prevent me from putting nfs4 in
> > production. So, I kindly regard if anybody clear the situation, and
> > in any case I could provide some testing.
>
> hi ivan-
>
> i'm beginning to look at the FreeBSD NFS client to think about how to
> finish the nascent NFSv4 and RPCGSS implementation.  it's a slow
> start though.

I have a working userland RPCSEC_GSS implementation which follows the
Solaris api for gss-specific extensions to the RPC api (e.g.
rpc_gcc_get_mechanisms(), rpc_gss_set_svc_name(), rpc_gss_getcred()
etc.).

I also have a working GSSAPI redirector which allows the use of multiple
GSSAPI mechanisms, such as SPKEY which is required by the spec. It even
includes an almost complete set of manpages culled from the RFC.