Call for feedback about ReiserFS import

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jspedron at club-internet.fr
Thu May 12 05:17:52 PDT 2005

Scott Long wrote:
> Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> The current port of ReiserFS is ready to be imported in the tree for a
>> few months, however my mentor mux@ and I have concerns about the
>> organization of the sources of this version.
>>
>> Originally, the port is based on Linux 2.6.7. My goal was to distribute
>> it as a 3rd party package, maybe a port. Because I was interested in
>> kernel development and how ReiserFS was working, I started from scratch,
>> bringing the necessary pieces of code from Linux little by little, to
>> achieve read-only support.
>>
>> The main issue with this approach is maintainability: the filenames and
>> source layout is different between the original Linux version and the
>> port. Changes in the Linux tree are harder to track.
>>
>> I'd like to import this version in FreeBSD's tree, because:
>> - ReiserFS' homepage (http://www.namesys.com/) says it shouldn't evolve
>> anymore (just rare bugfixes). For instance, between Linux 2.6.7 and
>> 2.6.11.3, they added a few checks of functions' return code.
>> - with my approach, I have a better knowledge of the filesystem
>> internals. If we want a BSD licensed version, it should be easier.
>> - work is more interesting this way than just make the Linux version
>> compile.
>> - it's already done ;)
>>
>> But I know that the tradition is to import external code with changes as
>> less intrusive as possible, for good reason. Does anyone has objections
>> for this?
>
> I'll agree with Greg that it's not optimal.  Life changes, and in a few
> years you might move on and no longer be interested in ReiserFS.  That
> will make it very hard to stay in sync over the long term.  However, if
> this is to be the basis for doing a GPL-free version of ReiserFS, then
> there is nothing wrong with changing the layout.  I guess it all comes
> down to what your long-term plans and committments are.  If what you
> have now is what you are comfortable with and you have plans to continue
> to maintain and improve it, then by all means import it.

Thanks a lot for your answers, Greg & Scott.

My main argument was that the current Linux version for ReiserFS isn't
likely to evolve. Thus, stay in sync with it should be easier. I also
started to document the on-disk structure, I may continue with the code.

I understand that the write support will be a difficult challenge, but
I'm willing to add it. And as you said Scott, I'm more comfortable with
the current port.

I'm going to send the last patch to mux for review and commit it.

Thanks again!

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron
http://www.dumbbell.fr/