Call for feedback about ReiserFS import

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 9 08:44:55 PDT 2005

On Monday,  9 May 2005 at 13:27:24 +0200, Jean-Sbastien Pdron wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The current port of ReiserFS is ready to be imported in the tree for a
> few months, however my mentor mux@ and I have concerns about the
> organization of the sources of this version.
>
> Originally, the port is based on Linux 2.6.7. My goal was to distribute
> it as a 3rd party package, maybe a port. Because I was interested in
> kernel development and how ReiserFS was working, I started from scratch,
> bringing the necessary pieces of code from Linux little by little, to
> achieve read-only support.
>
> The main issue with this approach is maintainability: the filenames and
> source layout is different between the original Linux version and the
> port. Changes in the Linux tree are harder to track.
>
> I'd like to import this version in FreeBSD's tree, because:
> - ReiserFS' homepage (http://www.namesys.com/) says it shouldn't evolve
> anymore (just rare bugfixes). For instance, between Linux 2.6.7 and
> 2.6.11.3, they added a few checks of functions' return code.
> - with my approach, I have a better knowledge of the filesystem
> internals. If we want a BSD licensed version, it should be easier.
> - work is more interesting this way than just make the Linux version
> compile.

This may be true, but it isn't really relevant to what goes into the
tree.

> - it's already done ;)

Well, as far as it goes.  I wouldn't say it's done until you have the
complete functionality.

> But I know that the tradition is to import external code with changes as
> less intrusive as possible, for good reason. Does anyone has objections
> for this?

I don't know if "objection" is the right word, but it seems to be a
sub-optimal approach.  Also, there's a real danger that the full
functionality might never be achieved.

On the other hand, it's better than nothing, and since there's also a
real danger that nobody will do a full version anyway, I'm not going
to take a position.

Greg