Cluster Filesystem for FreeBSD - any interest?

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Wed Jun 22 11:53:36 GMT 2005

yf-263 wrote:
> 在 2005-06-21二的 09:35 -0500,Eric Anderson写道:
>
>>This is something I've brought up before on other lists, but I'm curious
>>if anyone is interested in developing a BSD licensed clustered
>>filesystem for FreeBSD (and anyone else)?
>>
>>If there are enough developers, we can get the details ironed out and
>>start real software for this.
>>
>>What is everyone's thoughts on this?  Who's interested?
>

> I have the great interests on it.
>
> But as you see in http://www.clusterfs.com/lustre_is_oss.html  #In what
> way does Lustre have "open-development"?
>
> "Our experience in developing distributed file systems for more than 10
> years has been that the open source community contributes relatively few
> bug fixes."
>
> So the work need a strong support from its experiences.
>
> Also I have opened a discuss on following link
> http://bbs.chinaunix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=544517

Unfortunately, I can't read chinese.

I understand that many of those projects fail because of a lack of bug
reporting, but I believe that is partly due to the userbase of the
current cluster filesystems (being nearly all linux users, most of them
in a lab environment, etc),  and also the lack of solid docs.  Lustre is
a very interesting package, but it doesn't work on FreeBSD.  I could use
GFS, or luster, or another one with Linux, but I want to use FreeBSD.

Now, to be clear, I'm talking about a clustered filesystem, not a
distributed filesystem.

Eric