Interesting book on filesystems

Allan Fields bsd at afields.ca
Fri Jun 10 16:07:56 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 09:14:24PM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but just in case it hasn't:
>
> http://www.nobius.org/~dbg/
>
> Has a pdf of a "Practical File System Design..." book and a "File System
>  Construction Kit".  I'm going to download and play with the kit - not
> sure if will work without too much trouble on FreeBSD.
>
> Eric

I downloaded and read this one as well.  For a while I was looking
in the stores, but it went out of fashion.  Thanks to the author
for putting it online.

The idea behind BFS's extended attributes in the inode is different
than the UFS 2 implementation, are you interested in seeing any
further enhancements to file systems under BSD?.

One idea floated was adding journalling and/or transactions to UFS.
Then there is also the issue of cache coherency.

Another, is to start adding semantic enhancements to the file
system.  In talking with Marshall Kirk McKusick, the prefered
approach from a BSD perspective might be incremental addition
of features in a way that will render UFS workable and w/o
the likelihood of data loss/corruption much like the dirhash
implementation.

--
Allan Fields