NFSv234 server ported to FreeBSD6.0-BETA1

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 29 12:02:03 GMT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 rick at snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca wrote:

> In case you are interested, there is now a port of my NFSv2,3 and 4
> server to FreeBSD6.0-BETA1 available at
> ftp://ftp.cis.uoguelph.ca/pub/nfsv4. (Look for the 2 files with
> FreeBSD6.0-BETA1 in the name.)
>
> It seems to work ok on a dual CPU Pentium II that I have. (I believe
> that I have the SMP code set up ok, but I don't wait until I'm inside
> the server op functions to grab Giant. It follows the nfsserver example
> for handling the socket interface and has separate locks for the server
> cache and the caches of credential mappings for RPCSEC_GSS. It should
> allow the encryption/decryption to be done in parallel on an N cpu box.)
>
> I think the server is about ready for public consumption now. (I don't
> know if anyone is interested in bringing the code into FreeBSD, but this
> might be a good time?)

Rick,

This sounds great.  I'm away this weekend, but hopefully will get a chance
to start looking at this in detail in the next couple of week.  What might
make sense is for us to look at bring this work into FreeBSD 7 once it's
seen a bit more review, with a possible merge to 6.x as it shakes out.  I
think we'd probably be a bit reluctant to try to get it into 6.0 given the
timeline, but a merge after 6.0 goes out the door would make sense.

We'll want to get Jeff Roberson in the loop on the VFS locking front,
since he's running the show on the SMP VFS work.

Thanks!

Robert N M Watson