Snapshot problems

Chris Dillon cdillon at wolves.k12.mo.us
Tue Jul 5 20:56:03 GMT 2005

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Skylar Thompson wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 12:52:01PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smrgrav wrote:
>> Skylar Thompson <skylar at cs.earlham.edu> writes:
>>> No joy. The machine hung again yesterday afternoon, with the error
>>> "kern.ipc.maxpipekva exceeded" repeated over and over again on the
>>> console.
>>
>> So you're using a lot of pipes - more than the kernel can handle
>> with the default parameters.  What's your workload?  Do you run a
>> lot of jails?  What is the current value of kern.ipc.maxpipekva?
>> Have you tried increasing it?
>
> I doubled it from 16 million to 32 million, and the machine still
> crashes.

Could this just be a side-effect of the filesystem livelocking (I
guess that is the appropriate term) and a script or other process
getting out of control as a result?  If so, the "kern.ipc.maxpipekva"
error would be irrelevant.  I don't recall seeing that error when the
filesystem livelock happens to me, but I've only actually seen the
console a few times when it happened, the rest of the times I had to
power-cycle it remotely.

--
  Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
  FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?