badsect

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Thu Feb 24 18:31:54 GMT 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 21:53 , falaki at ce.sharif.edu exclaimed "Las Cucarachas
entran, Pero no pueden salir", and then rambled on saying with:

> > If so you need to make a directory to hold the bad sectors
> > on the filesystem with the problem, and then run badsect on
> > that filesystem, and then run fsck on that filesystem.

> In fact I made a mistake while writing the mail. What I did was
>    #badsect /mnt/data/.BAD 27546816

> > Is my assumption [ assuming is a bad thing to do whit computers ]
> > correct in that /mnt/data is another filesystem?

> Yes it is another file system for data

Then you need to change to the root of the data drive.

When on data make a directory to hold the bad sectors.

>From that filesystem root run the badsect utility.

When done, unmount that filesystem and then run fsck and THAT
filesystem.

I suspect the error you got with the number basically being out
of range is that the data filesystem is larger than the
root filesystem, where it appears that you ran the program from.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com