More unionfs madness

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Mon Aug 1 18:55:16 GMT 2005

Hi Kevin, Dario and all,

> I don't know about "totally broken" I use unionfs regularly on my system
> and it's been fine. I'll admit that the use (profile) is fairly
> straight-forward, but it's given me no problems.

profile.sh uses the "union" mount(8) option (MNT_UNION), which has far
more simpler semantics as the unionfs filesystem.  The latter is indeed
totally broken as a simple rename(2) or rmdir(2) would lead to a panic,
IIRC.

BTW, if you are interested in MNT_UNION semantics, I made a patch for
the profile.sh(8) manpage (among other one which are waiting for Tobias
to be merged :-), which explains clearly what it is supposed to do.
The real unionfs filesystem is described in mount_unionfs(8) manpage.

Have a look here :
    http://jeremie.le-hen.org/~tataz/patches/FreeBSD/profile.sh/

Best regards,
--