vinum and processor question

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 29 17:04:22 PST 2004

On Thursday, 29 January 2004 at 15:38:21 -0600, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> How much power do I need for vinum to run well?

Almost none.

> Currently looking at putting together a 1.4TB raid5 using it and
> then either sata or ata133. It will be transfering 100 to 200Mbps
> and on rare occasions 300Mbps. The board I am currently looking at
> is dual xeon.

It'll be almost impossible to transfer those kind of rates for any
extended period of time.  About the only time when Vinum uses
significant amounts of CPU time is during the parity calculations for
RAID-5 writes.  When developing it, on a 486-66, I was able to detect
measurable amounts of CPU time usage, about 10% under those
circumstances.  That's probably still the case with your config: both
processor and disks are faster by about the same proportion.  But I
don't expect you'll be using RAID-5 for writing only.

Greg