Request: summary of NFSv4 status available anywhere?

Jim Rees rees at umich.edu
Tue Jan 6 13:35:56 PST 2004

I'm sorry we haven't been better about sharing our plans.

We have no current plans to do a server.  Sorry.

We are holding back new code pending the release of FreeBSD 5.2, which will
be the first to incorporate our client.  After that we'll be working on gss,
and hope to test a client with kerberos and maybe lipkey at Connectathon in
late Feb.  Look for it to show up in the FreeBSD source tree shortly after
that.

Right now I'm working on some small cleanups.  I want to have the v3 and v4
clients both use the same rpc, so that v3 will get the benefits of rpcsec.
I want to fix the layering violations and backward references that currently
make it impossible to have completely separate v3 and v4 client modules.

There is still plenty of work to do before the client is fully functional.
You can use it, but as it is now you don't get many of the benefits of v4.
That will come later.