HFS/HFS Plus driver and tools for 5.x are available

Yar Tikhiy yar at FreeBSD.ORG
Fri Nov 21 10:44:09 PST 2003

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 11:29:14PM -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> > Since introducing a new file system won't disrupt any existing
> > functionality, this code will be committed to -CURRENT as soon as we
> > reach an agreement with Apple on the licensing issue.  Although APSL
> > allows us to use this code today, it would be better if Apple moved it
> > to the BSD license; and there is hope it's possible.
>
> Any status update on this matter?
>
> Thanks.

I apologize for my staying silent so long.  Frankly, I had nothing
to answer till today.  Robert Watson, who undertook the mission of
talking to Apple on the issue, has just got Apple's resolution.

Apple is against relicensing HFS+ under a BSD license since HFS+
contains some important intellectual property.  OTOH, Apple thinks
that the move to APSL2 will help open source projects with the
legal issues involved.

Robert Watson also added that now core@ would investigate possible
issues regarding APSL2 before reaching a final decision on how to
treat code covered by that license within our source tree.

Therefore the issue of integrating the HFS code into FreeBSD has
been clarified at least partially:  Alas, the HFS code will keep
its status of contributed software.

--
Yar