Encrypted filesystems

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Thu Jun 26 12:20:57 PDT 2003

Peter B wrote:

> I have searched for encrypted filesystems for un*x. Is there any better
> encrypted filesystems than the ones I have found for *bsd (+freebsd)..?

For per-file encryption, cryptfs/FiST is a good place to start.

> I'm looking for something convinient to enrypt cdrom's. Which will also suit
> dvd-r media. It should preferable be portable and not require specific kernel
> hacks. To ensure feature stability & availability.

Stackable virtual filesystems seem to be your friend.

> Which operating systems manage to effectivly to use encrypted swap..?

That's quite a different problem -- Poul-Henning Kamp's done work
in GEOM based disk encryption which is directly applicable to
encrypting swap.  Key management is always interesting.

--

"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
  wiser, but an intelligent man requires only two thousand five hundred."