wanting papers on fast file system for linux

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Mon Jun 23 04:23:22 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> On 2003-06-20 02:02:17 +0100, Deepakala G wrote:
> > I am a final year computer engineering student.My project title is "implementing fast file system for linux".Can u please send me sone related papers or the links to the papers(on fast file system)?

Off the top of my head, there's

	McKusick et al.  A Fast Filesystem for UNIX.

	McKusick et al.  The Design and Implementation of the 4.4
	BSD Operating System.

	McKusick and Ganger.  Soft Updates: A Technique for
	Eliminating Most Synchronous Writes in the Fast
	Filesystem.  In Proc. FREENIX, 1999.

The first two are very similar and give a good high-level overview
of FFS.  The third details softupdates for FFS, although neither
technology is specific to the other.  I believe one of the Solaris
Internals books covers their lufs implementation.  Other than
that, it's a safe bet that any paper by Margo Seltzer will be
interesting.

Of course, there's always the source code, which you can find out
how to obtain by checking out the FreeBSD website.  It may be
worthwhile to look at both the FreeBSD and NetBSD trees.  For
Linux, your best bet is probably to look at the ext2fs
implementation, not the UFS code.  ext2fs is essentially a
simplified version of FFS.  It mainly leaves out all the disk
geometry-specific optimizations (which you don't want anyway) and
support for file fragments (which you do want).  The two
filesystems also have different ways of dealing with certain
problems (e.g. FFS's block reallocation vs. ext2fs's
preallocation).