fwcontrol -R is broken, need help, urgent

Dieter BSD dieterbsd at engineer.com
Thu Aug 25 02:34:07 UTC 2011

Hi Sean,

> Please try this patch sooner rather than later.  I'd like to get it
> patched pre-9.0 at a minimum if this resolves the issues.

I'll look at your patch as soon as I get a chance.

I did manage to figure out that rearranging the arguments
worked around the problem.

If we want the 9.0 fwcontrol to work, doesn't kern/144843
need to be fixed?  I'm not sure whether to blame the kernel
(shouldn't panic unless someone is doing something really screwy
like writing random junk into /dev/kmem) or the compiler (maybe
generating code that does something sufficiently screwy that the
kernel can't defend against it).