Boot from Firewire (VIA Fire II)

Kevin Roettger flymac at mac.com
Wed Jan 27 10:45:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

Follow-up of my little journey:

No luck with FLOSS BIOS for my mainboard. Some exist for similar mainboard but not mine (at least I could not find any).

I've tried pretty much everything to boot from that USB stick but since the BIOS (even a fresh update a few days ago) does not support USB HDD but only USB FDD, no way to boot from it that I know of.

Last resort, I've tried netbooting via PXE, the idea being to use it as a way to get into the loader, load whatever Firewire modules and then select that drive to boot from. Ideally I can shutdown the NFS access afterwards to run only from that Firewire drive.
So, I've managed to boot and get into the loader, which is a good start. But of course "lsdev" will not show my Firewire drive no matter what modules I load: I've tried "load firewire", "load sbp" and so on...
Just a note, if I continue booting from NFS, everything works fine and the drive is recognized as sbp device without any intervention, so there is definitly support for it in the kernel and/or modules found on the NFS boot kernel (I used the 8.0-REL Bootonly image to boot from).

Any ideas? Is it even possible to do what I'd like to do?

Kevin