PCBSD7 works, PCBSD8 does not recognize my Sony firewire external drive?

Ben H. strbenjr at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 16:44:39 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have used a Sony PCGA-DDRW3 firewire external drive since PCBSD ver:1.5 so I could perform backups to and burn DVD and
CD data discs.  Now that I have upgraded to v8.0 the drive is no longer
recognized.

When I attach the device the OS sees it but
apparently will not recognize it as being attached.

What needs to happen for me to get this device working again?

I originally requested assistance in the PCBSD forums (including DMESG listings):

    http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15222

I am not subscribed to the "freebsd-firewire" list so please "cc" my email address also with any reply.

Any reply/help will be greatly appreciated.

{
[section from dmesg when device is attached:]
[user at pcbsd-2153]/home/user(xx)% uname -a
FreeBSD pcbsd-2153 8.0-RELEASE-p2
FreeBSD
8.0-RELEASE-p2 #4: Thu Jan  7 09:20:42 PST 2010

 root at build8x32.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/pcbsd-build80/fbsd-source/8.0-src/sys/PCBSD  i386

[user at pcbsd-2153]/home/user(xx)% dmesg
. . .
fwohci0: fwohci_intr_core: BUS reset
fwohci0: fwohci_intr_core:
node_id=0x00000000, SelfID Count=2, non CYCLEMASTER mode
firewire0: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1 cable IRM irm(0)  (me)
firewire0: root node is not cycle master capable
firewire0: bus manager 0
fwohci0: too
many cycle lost, no cycle master presents?
firewire0: New S400 device ID:0800460300f292bf
}

Ben
strbenjr{a}yahoo.com
-- -- -- http://themiraclemansion.com