libraw1394 and FreeBSD

Steve Polyack korvus at comcast.net
Fri May 22 12:35:38 UTC 2009

Hello,
  I've seen a few posts in the archives referring to porting libraw1394
to FreeBSD.  However, none of these appear to have been successful.  I'm
considering giving this a shot, but I will likely need some guidance.  I
have a few questions/points from what I've gathered from past discussions:

1. libraw1394 implements some ISO 1394 read/write/stop/start/etc
functions for firewire on linux.  It's been said that these are already
implemented in the FreeBSD kernel modules which provide firewire
access.  Is this correct?  If so, libraw1394 only needs rewritten enough
to provide the freebsd kernel interface in a linux application-familiar
sense.

2. What is going on with firewire development in FreeBSD currently?  If
I attempt to complete this port, am I better off working with 8-CURRENT
as opposed to 7.2-RELEASE?  I'm aware the USB stack in 8 is totally
rewritten; is the same true for the firewire modules?

I believe this would be a valuable port for FreeBSD.  It would enable us
to use a wide range of audio and DV interfaces via firewire and existing
linux "drivers" which only depend on libraw1394, opening up
possibilities like using FreeBSD for audio and video editing.

Thanks,
Steve Polyack