kern/97208: [firewire] System hangs / locks up when a firewire disk is attached

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Wed Feb 11 13:02:55 PST 2009

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:13:10 -0800
Sean Bruno <sean.bruno at dsl-only.net> wrote:

> So, now I need to go and add some debugging and figure out what is
> going on when you connect the HD.
>
> Are you comfortable with patches to kernel source and recompilation?

Yes, I am.
FWIW, I just verified that the external (usb) hard drive I use for
debugging on sysstems which are in production (and doesn't have a spare
slice or hard drive) will boot on this machine - it does.
That usb hard drive contains the i386 version of FreeBSD 7.1-stable:
tingo at testhost-1$ uname -a
FreeBSD testhost-1.kg4.no 7.1-STABLE FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #3: Sun Jan 18 19:01:17 CET 2009     root at testhost-1.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Is that ok?
(The drive also have a slice with FreeBSD 6.4-stable / i386)

HTH
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen