kern/97208: [firewire] System hangs / locks up when a firewire disk is attached

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Feb 9 13:06:02 PST 2009

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 14:07:19 -0800
Sean Bruno <sean.bruno at dsl-only.net> wrote:

> I will backport a patch to allow CAM to see a drive connect/disconnect
> better this week.  Right now, I think you have to reboot if the
> initial connection fails.  It's kind of awful.

Well for me, the drive itself _never_ attaches properly.

> I noted that there are 2 models of the Maxtor OneTouch II.  It appears
> from the fwcontrol output that you have a FW800 adapter in your PC and
> that the Maxtor is using a FW800 port.  Does the FW400 port work?
> Does the USB port work?

I am using this motherboard[1]. The TI chipset on the mb is FW-800. All
fw ports are equal, ie. there are no fw400-only ports.
Yes, the usb port on the dive works (as reported initially).

> I am puzzled by the fact that "stuff" appears to be happening WAY
> before a busreset occurs.  This seems bad.

I agree, it seems bad. :-)

> Try the same test, but execute a "fwcontrol -r" to force a bus reset.

I'll try this another day (the box is busy now, recording).

> I'd be interested to see the same output from your console with
> debugging enabled.

The output you got already _is_ with debugging enabled (ie those two
sysctls you asked for).

> You appear to have 2 ports connected to FW800 devices, port 0 and port
> 2.  What is on both ports?

Well that's wrong. Therer is only one thing connected to firewire ports
when the test was performed: the Maxtor drive.
Does the controler count as one port?