Have *you* disabled Firewire?

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Thu Aug 20 23:55:45 UTC 2009

[ removing -current ]

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 23:51 +0200, Julian Stecklina wrote:
> Sean Bruno <sean.bruno at dsl-only.net> writes:
>
> > I'm seeing evidence that the Firewire stack has been problematic for a
> > small, but growing set of users out there.  I see from a perusal of the
> > mailing lists, that some users are disabling their Firewire stack after
> > they cannot boot or install FreeBSD.  This usually is due to a panic
> > preceded by the message:"
> > 	"run_interrupt_driven_hooks - waiting for xpt_config"
>
> Panic? Most people reported hangs, haven't they?

Hangs yes.  If one waits long enough(2 minutes I think), it will panic.

> > This log message was added in the past to provide a diagnostic
> > indication of a failure.
> >
> > If you are one of these folks who have disabled their Firewire driver,
> > please let me know.  Also get me the following:
> > 	Full boot dmesg output (bootverbose)
> > 	Can you load "firewire"?(in kernel? after boot via module?)
> > 	Can you load "sbp"?(in kernel? after boot via module?)
> > 	*anything* else you might thing is relevant?
>
> I did provide this some months ago for my AMD 780G-based board. Was
> there anything that looked suspicious? Is it worth retrying?
>
> Regards,

I'm trying to gather information, thanks for the reminder about your
specific hardware. (JMicron based)

I've got the same failures reported with JMicron and NVidia based
controllers.  I will peruse the logs of all the failures and try to come
up with something soon.  :)

Sean