Have *you* disabled Firewire?

Julian Stecklina js at alien8.de
Thu Aug 20 21:51:49 UTC 2009

Sean Bruno <sean.bruno at dsl-only.net> writes:

> I'm seeing evidence that the Firewire stack has been problematic for a
> small, but growing set of users out there.  I see from a perusal of the
> mailing lists, that some users are disabling their Firewire stack after
> they cannot boot or install FreeBSD.  This usually is due to a panic
> preceded by the message:"
> 	"run_interrupt_driven_hooks - waiting for xpt_config"

Panic? Most people reported hangs, haven't they?

> This log message was added in the past to provide a diagnostic
> indication of a failure.
>
> If you are one of these folks who have disabled their Firewire driver,
> please let me know.  Also get me the following:
> 	Full boot dmesg output (bootverbose)
> 	Can you load "firewire"?(in kernel? after boot via module?)
> 	Can you load "sbp"?(in kernel? after boot via module?)
> 	*anything* else you might thing is relevant?

I did provide this some months ago for my AMD 780G-based board. Was
there anything that looked suspicious? Is it worth retrying?

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners - Ernst Jan Plugge