Something broke :-( Re: fwcontrol update

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Thu Aug 21 19:57:26 UTC 2008

> Ummm...ok.  Is the unit in "vcr" mode now when it generates the spewage?

Yes, vcr mode.  I only tried camera mode twice, once many months ago
with 6.x, and once a couple days ago with 7.0.

> Are we worse or better than when we started?  :)

Well... I found a few things in fwcontrol that could use
improvement, most of which have been fixed.  I found that
the NEC appariently isn't getting reset/initialized
sufficiently.  I found that NetBSD has ported FreeBSD's fw
support and thus now works with camcorders.

On the other hand if I want to upload data from the camera
I now have to move the cable.  I still don't know exactly
what messed up the NEC, and the VIA still doesn't work
properly with -S.

> >> This seems a strange way to use your camera to me
> >>

> > Strange how?
> >
> It's strange to me that you don't have any applications other than fwcontrol
> to pull and push files from your camera.

I figured cat and dd probably wouldn't work.