Capturing MPEG2-TS from a Motorola DVR

Eric Anderson anderson at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 2 14:44:44 UTC 2007

On 03/01/07 23:58, Ali Mazandar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Motorola DCT-6412 Digital Video Recorder that I'm trying to
> capture the MPEG2 stream from the firewire interface.  I saw that the
> patch "MPEG2-TS/HDV support for fwcontrol" had been commited to
> 6.2-STABLE so I updated from RELEASE to try it out.   This is what I
> get when I try to receive a stream with fwcontrol:
>
> %fwcontrol -R test.m2t
> Detected DV format on input.
> (EAGAIN) - push 'Play'?
> (EAGAIN) - push 'Play'?
> (EAGAIN) - push 'Play'?
> (EAGAIN) - push 'Play'?
>
> It doesn't seem to detect that a MPEG stream is playing on the
> firewire interface. I even tryed forcing it with the "-M mpeg" switch
> without luck.  Is there something I'm doing wrong or perhaps this
> functionality hasn't been implemented yet?  Any hints or tips would be
> appreciated.
>
> Link with my dmesg & fwcontrol info:
> http://alimazandar.pastebin.com/891941

I think it works for a small amount of people.  I have a Canon HV10, and
  another camera, and both do not work at all in FreeBSD.  I think
firewire for DV in FreeBSD is broken, and the maintainer is off doing
other things now.  I don't know anything about firewire to even find out
what's wrong.

Maybe there's a hacker out there that would like to own firewire?

Eric