How-To?

Hidetoshi Shimokawa simokawa at sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sun Sep 26 05:04:41 PDT 2004

At Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:58:05 -0500,
Dan D Niles wrote:

> Thanks a bunch, I was able to get it working.  I was expecting to need
> a daemon or something for hotplugging.  It turns out the disk was NTFS
> so there was no /dev/da0s1c, only a /dev/da0s1, which I did not
> recognize immediately.
>
> Lukas Maly writes:
>  > Hi
>  >
>  > If you attached firewire cable into card on PC, read messages.
>  >
>  > tail -f /var/log/messages
>  >

> I only get:
>
> Sep 24 14:45:01 wallenda kernel: fwohci0: BUS reset
> Sep 24 14:45:01 wallenda kernel: fwohci0: node_id=0x8800ffc0, gen=9, non CYCLEMASTER mode
> Sep 24 14:45:01 wallenda kernel: firewire0: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1, cable IRM = 0 (me)
> Sep 24 14:45:01 wallenda kernel: firewire0: root node is not cycle master capable
> Sep 24 14:45:01 wallenda kernel: firewire0: bus manager 0 (me)
>
> but that is probably because of the NTFS disk.

Even if it has only NTFS partitions, you should get 'da0:...' messages.

> Is "root node is not cycle master capable" something I need to worry
> about?

Theoretically, it shouldn't matter because cycle master is not
neccessay for asynchronous transaction which is used for SPB-2.
But I found some VIA chips don't work correctly in such situation.

What is your FreeBSD's version.
What happens if you run 'fwcontrol -r'?

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa at sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp