sbp_targ difficulties

Hidetoshi Shimokawa simokawa at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 11 05:56:31 PST 2004

At Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:32:07 -0500 (EST),
Protius wrote:

> I am attempting to use scsi_target to make a BSD box look like an
> external firewire drive, and it /almost/ works, but not quite...
> :-P
>
> The machines are running 5.3-STABLE, cvsupped on November 7.  They have
> in their kernel config files: (among other things)
>
> device          firewire        # FireWire bus code
> device          sbp             # SCSI over FireWireRequires scbus and da)
> device          sbp_targ
> device          fwe             # Ethernet over FireWirenon-standard!)
> device          targ
> options		VFS_AIO
>
> On the server machine, I run:
> scsi_target 1:0:0 /dev/stripe/mm
>
> There are no errors from scsi_target.
>
> But, on the console appears:
>
> Unknown service addr 0xffff:0xf0000210 WREQ0) src=0xffc0 data=200000f

This is beacuse firewire driver doesn't have this register
implemented. This is harmless, ignore.

> I then mount the disk read only, and everything is happy.  On umounting
> the disk, scsi_target coredumps... The core dump is actualy unusual,
> it has only happened once in the five or ten times I've done this entire
> sequence.
>
> So I restart scsi_target, and mount the disk read-write.
>
> The mount succeeds with no errors.  However the moment I attempt to
> write something in the filesystem (IE: cat > foo), scsi_target on
> the server machine goes nuts, and consumes all the CPU.
>
> The client machine hangs, I assume waiting for IO.  Then typicaly they
> both crash.
>
> Is the unknown service address caused by something which FreeBSD as a
> client does?  It definately only happens when one trys to write.

It has nothing to do with unknown service address error.
Try -d option of scsi_target(8) and see what happens.

> Any ideas?
> What additional information would be useful?
>
> I'm off to read firewire documentation now.  :-)

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa at FreeBSD.org