freebsd 5.2.1-RELEASE, 4 pin laptop firewire ports, and 6 pin firewire hard disk drives

Hidetoshi Shimokawa simokawa at sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Mar 23 18:51:11 PST 2004

At Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:22:29 -0500,
Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> Hidetoshi Shimokawa wrote:
>
> > I think you understand correctly and assume your hub has some problem for
> > providing bus power. Connect G4 powerbook, thinkpad and 2.5" HDD to
> > the hub at the same time and see what happens.
>
> I did that. Nothing happened. I even unmounted the drive from the powerbook.

Does the laptop recognize powerbook/hub/hdd?
The output of 'fwcontrol -t' should help.

Another possibility is cable problem.
Did you try with several 4pin-6pin cables?

> I'm about to give up on the 4 pin firewire port that comes with my laptop.
> So, I guess at this point I have these questions:
>
> 1.) Has ANYONE on this list actually gotten a firewire hdd (or cd-rom/dvd-rom,
>     I suppose) to work with a 4 pin firewire port? If so, what hardware did
>     you use?

I believe many people(including me) use SBP-2 device with 4-pin port.

> 2.) Does anyone know of a 6 pin firewire cardbus card that works well with
>     FreeBSD?

Though there might be some problem with cardbus bridge,
most of the card should work with FreeBSD as far as it's based on OHCI.

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa at sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PGP public key: http://www.sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~simokawa/pgp.html