Firewire SAN

Protius protius at teryx.bobdbob.com
Wed Dec 15 18:35:16 PST 2004

>I'm considering taking up the idea of firewire-based SAN as a graduation
>project. As I was looking at T13 (http://www.t13.org) and have found a
>document about firewire-ATA attachment, so I was wondering if anybody out
>there is already working on it as an opensource project (I know commercial
>implementations of this idea exist).

>More importantly, I was seeking the insight of the expertise in this mailing
>list regarding the viability of this project and the difficulty (or lack
>thereof) associated with it.

Its not firewire <-> ATA, but you may want to look at scsi_target (in
/usr/share/examples/scsi_target) and sbp_targ(4).  (On a FreeBSD 5.3 box)

There is a bug in scsi_target.  I see it most easily when trying to write
more than one block at a time onto a scsi_target.  What happens is that
there is a completed io queue (cmplt_io), and the same node gets inserted
into it more than once, such that the TAILQ_FOREACH_REVERSE loop at line
697 of scsi_target.c (version 1.16) never exits.

I havn't had time (day job, etc.) to finish hunting down exactly whats
going on...  But theres a heads up, if you look at it.

--
-Tommy   KE4ILZ      "Microsoft wants shareholders. Open source programmers
tjohnson at bobdbob.com  "want the damn thing to work."  - Cliff Sarginson