freebsd 5.2.1-RELEASE, 4 pin laptop firewire ports, and 6 pin firewire hard disk drives

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sat Apr 17 11:48:37 PDT 2004

Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> Well, I bought a VIA VT6303 6 pin bus-power-providing
> controller card for a FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE machine I
> use here at the office.
>
> I tried the same FW hdd on this card and I'm getting
> the same results: Nothing happens. My firewire device
> and sbp devices are compiled into the kernel and detected:

[...]

> I'm going to try this same card and drive on a 5.2.1 machine,
> but I'm starting to think that something is wrong with FreeBSD's
> firewire implementation. The drive always works fine on my boss's
> Powerbook.

The same firewire card/drive combo works in my 5.2.1-RC2 machine. I guess
FreeBSD 4.x just doesn't have up-to-date firewire drivers or something.
Oh well. 5-STABLE should be here soon, right? So it's good that it works
in 5.x.

I'd really like to figure out WHY it doesn't work with a 4 pin firewire
controller though... The machine with the 4 pin controller is a 5.2.1-RELEASE
laptop...

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,