Sony DRX-510UL CD/DVD burner: probe failed for 1 node

Judd Storrs storrsjm at email.uc.edu
Sun Dec 7 09:36:40 PST 2003

Hello,

Great work on the firewire support in freebsd, I recently started to use
an external firewire hard drive to expand my laptop and it is awesome!
I've been able to build -current and ports while conserving disk space in
the laptop. It's very liberating. Thanks!

I am having trouble with a Sony firewire DVD burner though, has anybody
had success with the Sony DRX-510UL DVD+/-R/RW drive using
firewire/i.LINK? I'm now running current from 12/06/2003 with aio kernel
module. [The drive isn't listed by fwcontrol without aio.] When I plug the
drive I observe the following in dmesg (with aio.ko loaded/full dmesg
attached):

fwohci0: BUS reset
fwohci0: node_id=0xc000ffc1, gen=3, CYCLEMASTER mode
firewire0: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1, cable IRM = 1 (me)
firewire0: bus manager 1 (me)
fwohci0: BUS reset
fwohci0: node_id=0xc000ffc1, gen=4, CYCLEMASTER mode
firewire0: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1, cable IRM = 1 (me)
firewire0: bus manager 1 (me)
firewire0: New S400 device ID:080046090009e518
firewire0: split transaction timeout dst=0xffc0 tl=0xa state=3
node0: resp=60 addr=0x418
probe failed for 1 node

fwcontrol reports:

2 devices (info_len=2)
node        EUI64        status
   1  0x0800285602000333      0
  -1  0x080046090009e518      0

[0x0800285602000333 = Adaptec DuoConnect PCIMCIA firewire/usb2]

My kernel is a slightly modified GENERIC: I686 only without INVARIANTS and
without WITNESS. Full dmesg attached. The Adaptec card works with a
firewire harddrive, and I can use the DVD drive over usb1 (usb2 does not
work for the Adaptec card: adding ehci to my kernel results in panics when
the card is inserted). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
--judd