net-im/skype* vs. linux-c6-*:

Felix Palmen felix at palmen-it.de
Sun Nov 23 01:20:41 UTC 2014

Hello,

Am Dienstag, 11. November 2014, 15:23:12 schrieben Sie:
> a) as far as I know Microsoft doesn't allow any client before 4.3, that
> would block net-im/skype and net-im/skype-devel. If you test, and find it
> works, can you let me know please?
>
> b) we're still lacking the syscalls required by Skype 4.3 in 11.0-CURRENT,
> although dchagin@ is making good progress.

for a), it's possible to circumvent that by once connecting with 4.3, then
downgrading to 4.2. It can be patched to report the same version string as
4.3, but I didn't test, whether this is strictly required. Given the fact that
11-CURRENT can obviously run skype 4.3 just fine now, but still has problems
with the linux pulseaudio libs (thus, rendering a skype version that supports
sound only through pulseaudio pointless), I came up with the following
workaround for getting a fully working skype at the moment, as long as there
are things missing for linux-pulseaudio:

1.) Get hold of an earlier version of net-im/skype4 still installing skype
4.2, place it in net-im/skype42 for convenience

2.) remove the broken flag and the pulseaudio dependency from net-im/skype4
Makefile

3.) install net-im/skype4, run it, log on making sure you check the checkbox
for automatic logon (important!).

4.) exit skype, make sure no process is left over (use kill -9 if necessary)

5.) uninstall net-im/skype4, install net-im/skype42

6.) This MIGHT be unneccesary, not sure about this -- patch skype 4.2 to
report 4.3 version string:
# gsed -i
"s/\x34\x2E\x32\x2E\x30\x2E\x31\x33/\x34\x2E\x33\x2E\x30\x2E\x33\x37/g"
/usr/local/share/skype/skype

Skype should now work. This assumes running a system recent enough to run
skype 4.3 (obviously, without the pulseaudio stuff), having chosen the -c6
linux ports as default and having a working setup for alsa shim in
/compat/linux/etc/alsa/pcm/pcm-oss.conf