virtualbox-ose-kmod rc scripts

Bernhard Fröhlich decke at bluelife.at
Wed May 28 06:51:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2014, Bernhard Fröhlich wrote:
>
>> Am 26.05.2014 01:49 schrieb "Dag-Erling Smørgrav" <des at des.no>:
>>>

>>> First of all, why is there a vboxnet rc script but not a vboxdrv rc
>>> script?
>>>
>>> Second, there is already support in /etc/rc.subr for checking whether a
>>> module is loaded, and loading it if it isn't.  Search for load_kld.
>>> There is no unload_kld, but IMHO you can just "kldunload" blindly.
>>

>> The vboxdrv module needs to be loaded via loader.conf or it can cause
>> kernel panics. There are also some features that don't work properly if I
>> remember correctly because of the startup order of startscripts so we
>> can't
>> use a rc script.
>

> Does it still do that?  Or maybe only on i386?  I've been reloading it after
> a rebuild for a long time now without problems, but maybe that was because
> it was on amd64 or just luck.

It's not quite as easy as that. We tried it two times already (back in
the old vbox
3.x days and last time around 4.0 I guess) and with both tests we ran into panic
reports from various people that we could not reproduce on any of our machines.

I don't remember the exact details about it anymore but there was another issue
with network interfaces coming up before vboxdrv and it was unable to see/use
the interface or so.

So it might be time to give it another try and see if we still run
into that issues.

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/