VirtualBox 4.3.6 + FreeBSD 10 + clang, [SUCCESS]

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 11 02:49:13 UTC 2014

Hi,

I had problems with the virtualbox-ose-4.22 port
under FreeBSD 10.0-RC5, where VirtualBox would occasionally
crash.
It looks like the mix of QT C++ libraries compiled with clang,
vs. the virtualbox-ose port compiled with g++46 was not a good mix

After reading this post:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2013-December/011171.html

I obtained Jung-uk Kim's port Makefiles for VirtualBox and
I managed to compile a build of VirtualBox 4.3.6 on my system which is not
crashing.

This is what I did:

(1)   Delete the virtualbox-ose port from my system:

pkg delete virtualbox-ose
pkg delete virtualbox-ose-kmod

(2)   Delete the gsoap port from my system

pkg delete gsoap

(3)  Make sure that a valid FreeBSD src tree exists under /usr/src,
otherwise
      the build will fail.

(4)  Check out jkim's tree from redports:

mkdir -p /tmp/xy
cd /tmp/xy
svn co https://svn.redports.org/jkim

(5)   Build and install gsoap from jkim's port (you need to do this because
the version of gsoap in the ports tree will result in failed compilation):

cd /tmp/xy/jkim/devel/gsoap
make
make install

(6)  Build and install virtualbox-ose and virtualbox-ose-kmod ports.

cd /tmp/xy/jkim/emulators/virtualbox-ose
make
make install
cd /tmp/xy/jkim/emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod
make
make install

After doing this, I got a build of VirtualBox that:
    -> built against clang, does not depend on g++ libraries
    -> no need to unset QT_PLUGIN_PATH
    -> works and doesn't crash :)

Thank you for doing this Jung-uk, it was quite a lot of work
to port VirtualBox to clang!

--
Craig