IPv6 VNC in VirtualBox

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Tue Jan 7 07:28:47 UTC 2014

I'm getting virtualbox-ose-4.2.20 (from ports) working on an IPv6-enabled server (9.1-RELEASE-p7).  I dug up this email[1] from about a year ago about setting the VNC ports and password via VBoxManage, but I seem to be having trouble tracking down how to apply that to IPv6.

I've set "--vrdeport 3300", but when I start the VM with VBoxHeadless it reports:
07/01/2014 07:11:29 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 3300
07/01/2014 07:11:29 Listening for VNC connections on TCP6 port 5900

And netstat -an concurs:
tcp6       0      0 *.5900                 *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0 *.3300                 *.*                    LISTEN

I have nothing listening on tcp6 *.3300.

The docs don't seem to mention an alternate v6 command line option for the vrdeport.  Is this missing from the docs, or am I just failing to spot it?  Or is it missing from OSE entirely?

While I'm at it, the docs on --vrdeaddress[2] are a bit unclear when it comes to v4 vs. v6.  The option normally would be for listing addresses to listen to, but the docs only show how to specify listening to all addresses.  They're easily extrapolated to applying them to a single v4 or single v6 address, but not both (the "both" example is listen-on-all).  Anyone know what the complete syntax for that option is?  Or is it not possible to specify both a single v4 and a single v6 address?

Thanks!

[1] <http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2013-January/010354.html>
[2] <http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#vboxmanage-modifyvm-vrde>