Problems with CD access on Virtualbox

Juris Kaminskis juris.kaminskis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 19:26:54 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am running FreeBSD 9.1 and have compiled VirtualBox. Now when I run
VirtualBox WinXP guest from root terminal, my cd is accessable fine. When I
run from user VirtualBox complains with following error message:

Cannot open host device '/dev/cd0' for read/write access. Check the
permissions of that device (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).

I am really stuck because I followed precisely
wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBoxmanual on host CD/DVD access. With
exception that I have not loaded
atapicam module, but I suppose it is not relevant as I read in Updating
Notes of FreeBSD 9.0 that cam drivers are defaulted in kernel.

Even so when I run kldload atapicam I get following error:

kldload: can't load atapicam: No such file or directory

I double check also what happens with my user, it has access to all the
groups required: wheel, operator, vboxusers.

ls -l /dev/cd0 gives following:

crw-rw---- 1 root operator 0,   85 Sep 10 18:46  /dev/cd0

Any help appreciated

Juris