ports/182468: [patch] lang/gcc builds unrunnable emulators/virtualbox-ose

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Thu Nov 21 19:01:54 UTC 2013

On 2013-Nov-17 16:32:46 -0500, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Bernhard Fröhlich <decke at bluelife.at> wrote:
>>  I think the idea and approach is correct but I went for a slighly more
>>  conservative
>>  approach if _GCC_RUNTIME was not set which is true in case base gcc is used=
>
>This can not possibly be correct as the variable begins with a "_".
>The initial proposed patch is also incorrect for a similar reason.
>_GCC_RUNTIME is not valid for use in a ports Makefile.

I completely agree.  As I initially stated, this is solely a work-
around for a bug in lang/gcc*.  In fact the existing use of
_GCC_RUNTIME in bsd.gcc.mk is equally wrong and is also just a work-
around for lang/gcc* bugs.

>Perhaps it would help if USE_GCC or USES=compiler exposed a variable
>indicating the runtime?

This is not correct either.  A port using lang/gcc should not need to
know about the compiler internals.  If code compiled with gcc46 needs
to be linked against non-standard libraries then using gcc46 for
linking should be sufficient - it shouldn't be necessary to add
magic "-Wl,-rpath=..." options.

(IMO, the whole -L/-rpath approach is broken: The runtime searchpath
should default to the linktime searchpath.  Unfortunately, fixing that
isn't possible).

--
Peter Jeremy