Ports FreeBSD-7-EoL message (was: Re: [cfr] patch to clean up old Linux ports)

Sat Mar 9 22:51:38 UTC 2013

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 17:08:00 -0500
Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:

> On 9 March 2013 16:13, René Ladan <rene at freebsd.org> wrote:

> > I strongly attend to agree with Boris here. If we want to continue
> > warning 7.X users for a while (1,6,12 months?) then it should both
> > be much clearer and easier to just put a conditional IGNORE in
> > bsd.port.mk than in thousands of individual (not only Linux) ports.
>
> +1.  The place to protect against user error is not in the Linux
> specific portion of the tree.

As I understand the EoL announcement the bsd.port.mk message would be
"it may or may not work" and the port-build should not bail out. If my
understanding is wrong, it would be nice if portmgr (CCed) could
clarify this.

The linux message is clearly "this will not work anymore" and the
port-building should stop. As such the linux part should behave like
IGNORE (BROKEN = build from time to time on the port build cluster in
case it compiles again; IGNORE = do not even give it a try).