svn commit: r248084 - in head/sys: amd64/amd64 arm/arm cddl/compat/opensolaris/kern cddl/compat/opensolaris/sys cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs...

Garrett Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 20:46:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Alfred Perlstein <alfred at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 7/9/13 12:39 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Alfred Perlstein <alfred at freebsd.org>
>> wrote:
>> In general (as most devs know), anytime that __FreeBSD_version__ needs to
>> be bumped for a change, there really should be an exp- run. I would hope
>> that intuition would at least allow a chicken switch between APIs for a
>> period of time so that people could at least be allowed time to transition
>> code over and then make the change.
>

> Can't an email hook be put in place to automatically spin one off based on
> commits to the file that change it?
>
> Tinderportsbox?

That would be nice, but it would be good if people ran exp- runs
before committing to head/ instead of after. Some changes take ages to
work through and fix, and having ports be broken until all of the
issues are solved is painful for everyone who upgrades their ports
trees on a regular basis.

I prefer to promote the "you break it, you buy it", instead of the "I
broke it, random contributor/dev, go fix my mess" mentality because
the latter is extremely irresponsible.

That being said, if there were tests integrated in as well (cues
bdrewery's work in combination with mine -- both which are in
progress), having this magically be automated would be considerably
less painful. This is close (probably will happen by the end of the
year), assuming that I have support and he does as well getting things
committed to base and ports.

Thanks!
-Garrett