VNC in virtualbox-ose-4.2.6

Søren Schrøder sch at chaos.dk
Tue Jan 15 15:57:31 UTC 2013

Greetings.

I have been using Virtualbox for headless servers for some time and is
very pleased with it.

Since I run the servers headless, I use VNC for console on the servers.

I'm running virtualbox-ose-4.1.18 on 9.0-RELEASE amd64, and I start my
servers with

/usr/local/bin/VBoxHeadless --startvm someserver --vnc --vncport 5901
--vncpass=somepass

Im now building a new box, and installed 4.2.6 on 9.1-RELEASE amd64

I've made my first guest, via the X11 GUI, and it works. But I cannot
get VNC running in headless.

I installed from ports, and enabled VNC option

[root at foo /var/db/ports/virtualbox-ose]# cat options
# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
# Options for virtualbox-ose-4.2.6
_OPTIONS_READ=virtualbox-ose-4.2.6
_FILE_COMPLETE_OPTIONS_LIST=DBUS DEBUG GUESTADDITIONS NLS PULSEAUDIO
QT4 UDPTUNNEL VDE VNC WEBSERVICE X11
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=DBUS
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=DEBUG
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=GUESTADDITIONS
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=NLS
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=PULSEAUDIO
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=QT4
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=UDPTUNNEL
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=VDE
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=VNC
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=WEBSERVICE
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=X11

/usr/local/bin/VBoxHeadless --startvm someserver --vnc --vncport 5901
--vncpass=somepass
Oracle VM VirtualBox Headless Interface 4.2.6_OSE
(C) 2008-2013 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

VBoxHeadless: error: Unknown option: '--vnc'
Usage:
   -s, -startvm, --startvm <name|uuid>   Start given VM (required argument)
   -v, -vrde, --vrde on|off|config       Enable (default) or disable the VRDE
                                         server or don't change the setting
   -e, -vrdeproperty, --vrdeproperty <name=[value]> Set a VRDE property:
                                         "TCP/Ports" - comma-separated
list of ports
                                         the VRDE server can bind to.
Use a dash between
                                         two port numbers to specify a range
                                         "TCP/Address" - interface IP
the VRDE server
                                         will bind to
   --settingspw <pw>                     Specify the settings password
   --settingspwfile <file>               Specify a file containing the
settings password
   -c, -capture, --capture               Record the VM screen output to a file
   -w, --width                           Frame width when recording
   -h, --height                          Frame height when recording
   -r, --bitrate                         Recording bit rate when recording
   -f, --filename                        File name when recording. The
codec used
                                         will be chosen based on the
file extension

it seems VNC is now in "extpacks", and it seems like its "usable"

 VBoxManage list extpacks
Password:
Extension Packs: 1
Pack no. 0:   VNC
Version:      4.2.6_OSE
Revision:     82870
Edition:
VRDE Module:  VBoxVNC
Usable:       true
Why unusable:

but I cannot figure how to make console via VNC in 4.2

Any pointers ?

--
Søren Schrøder.
Obey Gravity - It's the law !