VirtualBox kernel modules

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Jan 12 07:22:39 UTC 2013

(viewmail-info at nongnu.org removed from Cc list, sorry if that was
correct.)

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013, John Hein wrote:

> It's in /usr/share/mk/bsd.own.mk (which is included early by make(1) -
> due to bsd.own.mk inclusion in /usr/shar/mk/bsd.port.mk)...
>
> ..if defined(MODULES_WITH_WORLD)
> KMODDIR?=       /boot/modules
> ..else
> KMODDIR?=       /boot/kernel
> ..endif
>
> And from make.conf(5) ...
>
>     MODULES_WITH_WORLD
>                   (bool) Set to build modules with the system instead of the
>                   kernel.
>
> Not the best named knob for the KMODDIR adjustment.

The explanation makes no sense to me.  It doesn't really mean build,
it's a choice of where the new modules will be installed.

   MODULES_WITH_WORLD
 	(bool) Set to install modules in the /boot/modules directory.
         Unset to install modules in the /boot/kernel directory along
 	with the FreeBSD kernel.

It really should be inverted and the variable named MODULES_WITH_KERNEL.