9.1 AMD64 multitasking efficiency low

CeDeROM cederom at tlen.pl
Tue Feb 12 13:24:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM, CeDeROM <cederom at tlen.pl> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Christian Gusenbauer <c47g at gmx.at> wrote:
>> Maybe it's hardware related? I experience the same slowness as you do as soon
>> as I copy more than a few MB of data *on the same drive*. (...)
>
> Hello Christian :-) Thank you for your feedback! :-) There was no
> problem today to copy from internal ufs2 to external ufs2, but I have
> tried to copy back from external (ufs2) to internal (ufs2) and guess
> what - I got the terrible slowdown!!! Just when I hit Ctrl+C things
> get back to normal right away.. so the problem is with writing to the
> WDC SATA drive...

I also noticed that issue on a far more powerful machine and the WDC
2TB drive. At first I thought the drive was broken, then I switched
from ext2 to ufs2 that improved efficiency to an acceptable level, but
still it does not look as it should, maybe something wrong with the
SATA(2) driver or the WDC drives :-) Glad to hear I am not alone,
thanks!! :-)