VirtualBox with FreeBSD Guest: custom kernel

Marc Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Mon Apr 15 06:10:02 UTC 2013

Great, thanks … now some questions / clarifications …

First, am running both 9.x Guest and Host, so kern.hz is apparently auto-detected, so I'm covered there …

Second, bridged adapter …  I just read http://people.freebsd.org/~julian/netgraph.html, and checking kldstat, it looks like netgraph is auto-loaded (I didn't compile it into the kernel, or add it to /boot/loader.conf) … so it isn't 'if' I use netgraph, but bridged networking automatically requires netgraph?   I've been getting weird behaviour with my virtual box, in that if I try and copy a bunch of data in (ie. rsync a 'template' from outside of virtual box into virtual box), after awhile, I'll get the whole server to stop processing packets for 5 minutes (sometimes more, sometimes less) and then it suddenly just starts processing again … is this how that issue manifests itself?  Or would those be unrelated?

Finally, storage controller … again, running 9.x Host / Guest … my devices are coming up as /dev/ada0 … but showvminfo shows me running an IDE controller:

Storage Controller Name (0):            IDE Controller
Storage Controller Type (0):            PIIX4
Storage Controller Instance Number (0): 0
Storage Controller Max Port Count (0):  2
Storage Controller Port Count (0):      2
Storage Controller Bootable (0):        on

According to the docs for storagectl, my options are:

                            [--add <ide/sata/scsi/floppy>]
                            [--controller <LsiLogic|LSILogicSAS|BusLogic|
                                          IntelAhci|PIIX3|PIIX4|ICH6|I82078>]

So, SATA better then IDE … SCSI better (or worse?) then SATA?   I tend to have a bias towards SCSI, not even sure why I went IDE when I first started using VirtualBox …  And what about Controller?  the Tuning guide doesn't make any recommendations in that regard …

Thanks ...