[Call for Testers] VirtualBox 4.2.4

Bernhard Fröhlich decke at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 31 08:33:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Mike Jakubik
<mike.jakubik at intertainservices.com> wrote:
> On 2012-10-30 08:07 PM, Jason Andresen wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 30, 2012, at 15:56, Bernhard Fröhlich <decke at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Clang does not support global registered variables so it's not supposed
>>> work.
>>

>> Is this a feature?  Is there a reason why clang couldn't be updated
>> to support this if actual software is using it?
>

> It is a feature, but it appears to be a dirty one. Below is a link to a
> supposed Apple developer explaining the lack of this feature. I'm not a
> programmer but a humble sysadmin, so i do not know if this is true.
>
> http://nondot.org/sabre/LLVMNotes/GlobalRegisterVariables.txt

That problem also prevents QEMU from being build correctly with LLVM.

I'm just quoting the LLVM Users Manual:

"clang does not support global register variables; this is unlikely to be
implemented soon because it requires additional LLVM backend support."

http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/