[Call for Testers] VirtualBox 4.2.4

Bernhard Fröhlich decke at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 30 22:12:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Mike Jakubik
<mike.jakubik at intertainservices.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 October 2012 4:05:06 PM Mike Jakubik wrote:
>> On Tuesday 30 October 2012 3:56:29 PM Bernhard Fröhlich wrote:
>> > On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Mike Jakubik

>> > Patches are welcome but it's not supported from us yet and probably will
>> > never be.
>>
>> Thats a shame, i'll see if i can make it work, though im not an expert in
>> this field.

Default compiler for 10.0 will be CLANG from base but gcc 4.2 will still be in
base so we should be able to use that without additional work. That should
give us at least one more release cycle if we need it.

> This was apprantly already discussed by others two years ago.
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2010-July/007873.html
>
> I've modified Config.kmk to exclude those FreeBSD custom compiler options and it
> continued to compile. Unforntunately it did fail again but for a different
> reason, it seems like getting this to work with an up to date version of gcc
> wouldnt be too hard by someone who knew what they were doing.

Andriy Gapon has some more recent patches for an older vbox version
that also work with gcc 4.6:
http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/vbox4-gcc45.patch

--
Bernhard Froehlich