Open-vm-tools

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Sat Oct 20 16:16:27 UTC 2012

I just installed PC-BSD 9.1-RC2 and virtualbox 4.1.22. I then installed a vm running FreeBSD 9.1-RC2. I installed the open-vm-tools from pkg.

The kernel modules wouldn't load at boot. Turns out the rc.d script runs a binary called vmware-checkvm, which is supposed to return true if it's run in a vm. It does not and so the rc.d script bails out before loading the kernel modules.

Running vmware-checkvm gives "unknown version" as output.

I haven't tried other hypervisors, but it seems that on this platform at least it doesn't work properly.

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel