epson printers on amd64

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sun Nov 20 03:00:52 UTC 2011

Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011, David Southwell wrote:
> > Anyone up to date on how to do high quality printing with
> > epson inkjet printers (in my case r2400 and r2880) on amd64
> > systems.  print/pips* reports they require 386 and do not
> > compile on amd64.
>
> print/gimp-gutenprint works pretty well from Gimp, although
> I have not figured out how to get consistent color and brightness.
> It supports both of those printers.

I'm sure I'm not alone in doubting that _any_ ink-spitter is likely to
produce "high quality printing" or "consistent color and brightness",
regardless of the host support used.  Those printers are designed to
be manufactured as inexpensively as possible so as to be sold at very
low prices, the profit being in the recurring ink sales.  "Cheap" and
"high quality" tend to be incompatible design goals.

BTW, to the OP:  a single posting, to a single list, would have been
sufficient.  I saw 4 postings of the same (or nearly the same) question,
spread over 2 lists.