VBox 4.0.4 testing : keyboard layout issue

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de
Mon Mar 28 23:56:28 UTC 2011

I am testing

https://svn.bluelife.at/nightlies/virtualbox-port-r1273.tar.gz

on FreeBSD 8.2 amd64.

So far, both a Windows XP SP2 (vdi imported from other machine) and a Ubuntu 10.10 (fresh install) guest seems to work great. Both with VT etc enabled (the host is a Core7 Intel).

I've built only headless (only VNC and VDE support in the ports config) and start stuff

VBoxHeadless -n -s buildslave_winxp_vc2010

and access from Windows with TightVNC or VNC Viewer (Real VNC).

Problem is with keyboard map: it is weird  .. I am using a german keyboard, y and z are swapped, but the real annoyance are "funny" chars like {/$- etc etc. (it's not like the "usual" mixup when running german kbd with US map .. )

I tried to config the port with NLS .. but it says that required Qt which I don't have/want on that machine.

Am I expected to do s.th. different or is there anything I can do/try?

Anyway .. really nice to have that port,
Tobias

libvncserver-0.9.7_2 Provide an easy API to write one's own vnc server

vde2-2.3.1          User-mode virtual ethernet infrastructure
virtualbox-ose-4.0.4 A general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware
virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.0.4 VirtualBox kernel module for FreeBSD

sf0# uname -v
FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Thu Feb 17 02:41:51 UTC 2011     root at mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC