Call for Testers: VirtualBox 4.0.4

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Sun Mar 6 20:56:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 14:06:24 -0500, Jason Andresen wrote:

> On
Sat, 05 Mar 2011 17:40:20 -0600
> Rusty Nejdl wrote:
>
>> Can you give
the 260.19.29 version of the NVIDIA driver a try? It's a stable version
and there's a problem report to update the nvidia driver that hasn't
been committed yet. This is what mine shows for glxinfo: OpenGL vendor
string: NVIDIA Corporation OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX
460/PCI/SSE2 OpenGL version string: 4.1.0 NVIDIA 260.19.29 OpenGL
shading language version string: 4.10 NVIDIA via Cg compiler That's
about the only idea I have. The opengl that your card supports is a
major rev behind what mine does. I'm not sure what version VirtualBox
requires.
> I think the OpenGL version difference is mostly about stuff
like the number of instructions you can program in a shader program and
stuff like that. I don't think it's the issue here. It shouldn't be a
surprise that my card is a version behind, it's getting on 5 years old
now. Still, it's a very capable card, and simply asking it to get a GL
context ready shouldn't crash VirtualBox. Anyway, updating the driver
didn't help. It's still failing in exactly the same way, the only
difference is now glxinfo reports: OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA
Corporation OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8800 GTX/PCI/SSE2 OpenGL
version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.29 OpenGL shading language version
string: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Jason,

Yeah, I know... I was
reaching for ideas. I'm not seeing any crashing. I do agree that your
card is pretty capable and I just recently upgraded from a 9600 as well.
The only issues I've had so far are incompatibilities of software within
my virtual machines themselves but my Ubuntu, FreeBSD, and Windows XP
vm's all run perfectly with all appropriate levels of acceleration.

Rusty Nejdl

Links:
------
[1] mailto:rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com