VirtualBox + VIMAGE

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 14:30:05 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Bernhard Froehlich <decke at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:25:28 +0200, Mikolaj Golub wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:22:40 +0100 Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
>>
>>  BF> Sounds like it's my turn now. Which FreeBSD version is required to be
>>  BF> able to use it?
>>
>> As Bjoern noted it is for __FreeBSD_version >= 800500.
>>
>>  BF> Is VIMAGE enabled per default and what happens if VIMAGE is disabled -
>>  BF> does it at least build fine with that patch?
>>
>> We have VIMAGE disabled by default.
>>
>> I have added to src/VBox/HostDrivers/VBoxNetFlt/freebsd/Makefile:
>>
>> .if defined(VIMAGE)
>>  CFLAGS += -DVIMAGE
>> .endif
>>
>> So to build the driver for VIMAGE enabled kernel one should run
>>
>> VIMAGE=1 make
>>
>> If VIMAGE variable is not defined the module for VIMAGE disabled kernel will
>> be built.
>
> http://home.bluelife.at/patches/virtualbox-ose-kmod-devel-VIMAGE.diff
>
> I've integrated it a bit better into the VirtualBox build system, added
> the ports stuff and updated the patch for VirtualBox 4.0.2.
>
> It is currently unclear to me why you add VIMAGE to CFLAGS but nowhere
> check for VIMAGE in VBoxNetFlt-freebsd.c. Shouldn't we add a check for
> VIMAGE in the #if defined line or is this already done somewhere deep in
> the included headers?
>
> --
> Bernhard Froehlich
> http://www.bluelife.at/

I managed to completely miss your patch posted this thread, so I just
gave it a try on bluelife's virtualbox-ose-kmod svn r1239; it's
working well. I've started each of my guests with bridged networking
to be sure, and I see no panic (or any other anomaly) during boot or
normal operation.

Do you have plans on merging the patch soon?

-Brandon