flashplayer amd64(?) issues persist

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Wed Jun 8 12:15:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 08:21:47 +0000, Alexander Best wrote:
> On Tue Jun  7 11, Mark Felder wrote:
>> Ok guys, I really don't know what to say. I wish someone could come
>> stare
>> at my box and witness this because it seems like I'm the only person
>> in
>> existence to have this problem. I've tried -stable, I've tried
>> different
>> flash player / browser / nvidia driver combinations, flash config
>> settings
>> in the mms.cfg, etc etc and I cannot make this problem go away. I've
>> posted pictures before, and it has to do with active flashplayer
>> videos
>> (mostly youtube videos) somehow bleeding into other apps. You can
>> even
>> minimize the browser window and the video is still floating there
>> invisible where it was before you minimized -- just put a terminal
>> window
>> over that area and you can see it again as if you enabled background
>> transparency on the terminal. Open a new tab in the browser and the
>> flash
>> video from the previous tab just starts bleeding through. Very
>> weird.
>
> i experienced similar problems. what worked for me was to open a
> flash video
> (let's say on youtube), then go into the flash settings by right
> clicking and
> then disabling the hardware acceleration.
>
> afterwards close your browser, verify that no flash zombies exist
> (via ps e.g.)
> and restart your brwoser. that should take care of the articfacts.
>
> cheers.
> ales
>
> btw: switching to the console via ctrl+alt+F1 and then back again to
> X (+F9)
> also gets rid of the artifacts until a new flash instance gets
> started.

Have you tried creating/editing this file?

[tethys]:/etc> cat /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
OverrideGPUValidation=true
#EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=0

For the record, I'm running a 12GB, 8.2 AMD 64 with the following
NVIDIA driver/hardware and do not have this issue:

hw.nvidia.version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  270.41.19  Mon May
16 23:33:52 PDT 2011

hw.nvidia.cards.0.model: GeForce GTX 460

Rusty Nejdl
http://networking.ringofsaturn.com